Tuesday 23 April 2013

"Blessed are the poor in spirit... "

Being poor in spirit does not simply mean one who finds himself in unfavorable circumstances, although God can use unfavorable circumstances to bring this heart posture to a Christian. Being poor in spirit is a decision one makes, a matter of the heart. Humility is intertwined with this beattitude. Recognizing our poverty without God, realizing that we no good thing apart from Him is what Christ is talking about. Riches mean nothing. Possessions mean nothing. A good name means nothing if I have not the approval of my God. Food is an empty substitute that can dull the sharp, raw craving for God. Over-abundance of food cause spiritual muscles to atrophy. Putting oneself in a position where he is forced to depend upon God is a great way to see weakness. Putting oneself in a position to rely on God is not weakness in and of itself; it simply reveals the need that was already there. A self-reliant man can be starving on the inside and never realize his need. Throwing ourselves upon the sovereignty of God merely reveals that 'apart from Him we have no good thing'.
     God, I open my hands to give back to You what is Yours already. May there be more of You and less of me. Make me poor in spirit. May I look more like You Son! Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Thank-you for the encouragement and the wisdom. I find myself being inspired as I read your updates. Keep em coming.

    ReplyDelete